Sunday, February 19, 2012

Philosophers Guild 27th Anniversary

Though not very active at this point in my life, today does mark the 27th anniversary of the Founding of the Philosophers Guild. I founded this group at 11:05 PM on 19 February 1985. Yes I remember the time because I documented it. The Guild was the fourth, and most successful by far, philosophical/political group that I created. At one time the Guild had members throughout the US and Canada. Our small press newsletter, THE THOUGHT, had circulation even in Europe and occasionally in India and Australia. What made it work was that, while I am a libertarian and thus the group had that focus, we were open to differing viewpoints. Some people found the approach horrible, but I learn quite a bit from people that I don't agree with. I made lasting friendships there and I am in touch with many of those people to this day. Yes, I'd do that again. I learned the fine art of discussion and listening. Sometimes I still need to remind myself of those lessons.

The Guild is its heyday was very eclectic. THE THOUGHT was our primary outreach and project, and it was put out monthly without fail from April of 1985 to June of 1990. Then publication became spotty, going into a three year hiatus after a single issue came out in 1994. In 1997 I revived the Guild and the newsletter, and it came out bimonthly until the summer of 2005. I don't rule out doing something with the newsletter again in the future. We shall all see.

My thanks to all those who were part of it.

2 comments:

  1. I still have most of my copies. If you do ever decide to revive it. I would happily become a contributor again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that Alex. I have certainly missed it. My goal is to get established as a writer of novels. Once that is done, I see no reason at all that THE THOUGHT could not be revived and come out a couple times a year.

    ReplyDelete