Thursday, February 16, 2012

Philosophy in the Novel

Some readers of the novel will wonder if the philosophy being expressed by some of the major characters, Victor Trent in particular, mirrors that of my own. To a large degree the answer is yes. I doubt that comes as much of a surprise. A writer has to have a solid familiarity with what he or she is writing about. Victor is, perhaps, more cynical than I am, at least now. When I was the age he is in the book, 28, I was very cynical as well. A lot of the philosophy expressed by some characters is definitely not my own, but it is part and parcel of tenets and beliefs that I have been exposed to.

As was the case during those years that I published THE THOUGHT, I am indeed trying to engage the reader on a level to make them think. Yes, I also hope to tell an engaging story and entertain and create a universe people will want to visit several times. Making people think, consider a different perspective, is part and parcel of what I have done throughout my writing career. Becoming a writer of novels does not change that.

Robert Heinlein wrote novels that had challenging ideas that made his reader think as well as entertain. L.Neil Smith has done likewise. Several others come to mind.

I'm sure some readers will just enjoy the vampire angle of the book. That's fine. However, the readers I will cherish, the ones I look forward to hearing from, are the ones who pay attention to the philosophy and maybe get something to ponder out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment